Sunday, November 24, 2013

November 24, 2013

This week could be titled “Patience in Suffering”.  I did not feel well enough to go to the office even one day this week.  Every day I would think, tomorrow I will go for at least part of the day.  But the next day would come and I wouldn’t feel up to it.
Mike took good care of me and brought me some medicine and other items I requested so I could make a couple of different soups.  Fortunately we had a few leftovers around so he didn’t completely starve.  One way I could tell that I was quite sick was that I had absolutely no appetite.  I can usually eat my way through most any illness without batting an eye.  But, I had to force myself to eat this week.
I made a big mistake on Tuesday by thinking I should be at the airport to meet the Elder and Sister Markham when they arrived.  I bundled up good and rested what I could, but I believe it set me back a day or two.  Finally on Thursday Mike had Fatima at our office make an appointment for me at a clinic nearby.  The doctor said I had a bacterial infection in my right lung and my throat and that I was running a fever.  I hadn’t felt that I had had a fever, as I was chilling so much of the time.
So, now I am on the mend, but it is still going a little slower than I would wish.
Last night, Saturday, our ward was having a “surprise” farewell party for us.  They told Mike not to tell me, but I probably wouldn’t have gone if I thought it was just a normal ward activity just because of the way I have felt.  It was a lovely party.  The bishop, the Stake President and Mike all spoke and I would have been on the spot, too, except that talking makes me cough.  So I made a few very brief comments.  The Primary sang and our four Elders sang “Ye Elders of Israel” and it was just beautiful.  They presented us with a couple of small gifts and a painting of me done by Theresa Castro, a sweet lady of my age.  We then had a lovely banquet.  The ladies of our Caparica ward really can put on a good spread.  It was a lovely evening and I managed to feel fairly well.

But, sad to say, I didn’t have a good night—lots of coughing, a very dry throat, not much sleep and Mike said I should stay in again today.    I am so ready to appreciate good health again.

Part of the ward group.

Some of the main dishes.

Lots of yummy desserts.

With Theresa Castro who painted a picture of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment